I have a theory that the amount of negative drama in your organization is proportional to the size of your company’s policy manual.
Here’s my logic:
- Most negative behavior is a result of unmet positive needs.
- Eighty percent of your behavior problems are caused by 20% of your people.
- Prescriptive behavior policies are a great way to help leaders avoid the conflict of accountability and difficult conversations.
What you can do about it:
- Train and hold your leaders accountable for positively motivating their people and having straightforward, immediate, and respectful conversations with the few who go astray.
- Re-engineer your policy manual and culture to focus on compassionate accountability – the art of struggling with others in a spirit of openness, resourcefulness, and persistence.
Next Element advises and trains change-agents on how to practice compassionate accountability to reduct negative drama. Want to become a certified Next Element trainer? Click here to learn more.
Follow @NextNate on Twitter
Connect with Nate on LinkedIn