Compassion is much more than being stirred by another’s humanity and extending a helping hand. Here are a few ways to expand your experience of compassion.
- Relish in another’s joy without comparing yourself to them.
- Pay it forward because you want to, not because you feel obligated by the person who came before you, and not because you expect the next person to do it.
- Do the right thing simply because it’s the right thing, no need to be a role model for others, no expectation that others will follow suit.
- Share your joy because you’re worth it.
- Share your pain because you’re worth it.
- Ask for what you want because you’re worth it.
- Ask a curious question and listening intently for the answer.
- Support someone who turned down your offer to help.
- Share a negative feeling you have without blaming anyone for it.
- Empathize without one-upping.
- Wait to share your great idea while you explore someone else’s.
- Own up to something without excuses or explanations.
- Share your convictions without expecting others to agree.
- Assume good intentions.
Which of these challenges you most? What would have to change inside of you to practice bold compassion?